6 beets, peeled and cut into thick wedges
3 medium onions, cut into wedges
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cut in half lengthwise, and then into thirds
6 medium carrots
2 teaspoons kosher salt or to taste
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Scatter vegetables across large, shallow and heavy-bottomed roasting pan.
3. Sprinkle with salt, ensuring even distribution
4. Pour olive oil over vegetables. Mix thoroughly with your hands.
5. Roast, stirring and turning every 10 minutes, until vegetables are well caramelized.
Makes 6 servings. Nutrition analysis per serving: Calories, 192; Protein 3g; Carbohydrate 26g; High in copper, Vitamin A and Vitamin C. Approximate cost per serving: $1.48. Active prep and cooking time: 15 minutes; largely passive cooking time: 45 minutes. Planning: Produce: beets, sweet potatoes. To have on hand: extra virgin olive oil, salt, onions, carrots.